Wednesday, August 11, 2010

makin' it legal

I've gotten a taste of racing in the 'states (or elsewhere, for that matter), and to do so, depending on the sanctioning body, requires certain provisions.  An oil retaining bellypan is mandated, even at Gimli, even though it is not enforced by tech.  Regardless, I now know firsthand the delays caused by blown engines, or more commonly, failed oil filters.  Short of a full fairing, the only oil-retaining bellypan available is in the UK.  And so, with my trusty VISA card, I made a call to the mother country.  After a short delay, this arrived via fedex:
As usual, I've got a coat of primer and one coat of Key Lime applied already.  Should hold far more than the 2L of oil that the ex crankcase holds.

While I was at it, I also ordered the only thing that passes for case covers for the ex.  Granted, some diligent ebaying would have found me spare alternator and clutch covers for a similar price, but with no extra protection.  NRG used to be the go-to company for these things, but I'm not sure they are in business.  Last part I bought from them was a set of covers for my zx6R racer back in 2002 -- so these came with the bellypan; one for the clutch side (pictured) and another for the alternator.

That is real carbon fibre -- impressively light, and thick.  In a crash, it will grind away first before we get into the oil-retaining parts of the engine.  I've simply glued it via epoxy.

The power commander has also arrived.  It, a ride on Doug's bike, the FI light trouble, and the shape of the oil retaining bellypan has necessitated what I hope to be the final "major" expense of the project -- a Muzzy full system.  Doug has had one on his bike for years.  There is a dedicated map for it available from Dynojet (which will save time on the dyno coming up with a map for my home-made system) and will also fit with the bellypan (which my current mockup will not).  It too is backordered (no one is stocking anything in this economy), but I did get a good deal on it from an online warehouse... under $400 for a complete system -- not a bad price!  This is what it looks like:

Note the reverse megaphone shape.  There is a removable baffle inside, and the header pipes are larger for less restriction.  Again, far lighter than stock as well, and Doug's machine is quicker than his son's bike, which has just a LeoVince slip on.
So, no excuses then... proper tires, full system, correct map... it's down to me now... as rusty as I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment