Tuesday, August 10, 2010

1st try

Had the ex out at the track this past weekend -- just wanted a quick 20 min session to see where it was at to date.  In hindsight, it wasn't that the bike was dangerous, but for real racetrack riding, I had rushed it a bit.  I learned that:
1.  The 2CT tires were not suited to the bike.  They have a super low profile and not much edge to them -- very round, and are dimensionally so different from what I was used to, the didn't even properly fit in the trailer "saddles" -- too small by nearly an inch.  Made for an unsettling ride through the corners, and a "moment".  Need to find better tires!
2.  I pushed the brake issue -- OLD as in "wafer thin" pads left, and rubber hoses -- after 5-6 laps, the lever was coming back to the bar, and I'm not a late braker!  Still waiting after 3 weeks for replacement pads!  Stainless lines are also on order.
3.  I hadn't run the bike much at all prior to getting to the track.  Took it out Friday night for a rip along an access road at the track, and the FI light came on.  Bike really didn't run a whole lot poorer, but wouldn't rev out till redline, or much past 9000 rpm.  Could be a number of things -- the removed subthrottles, the map I downloaded, or some other fault.  Doug has the proper Kawi diagnostic tool, so perhaps he can shed some light.  I didn't like the on/off throttle response anyway, so the subthrottles have gone back on to the machine.  Its doubtful, but that also might be the source of the error code.

In all, a good indication of where the bike was at, but I did push the issue a bit.  Should be much better for September.

Monday saw another part arrive, a supermoto-style water overflow catch can.  Going "nekkid" with the bike leaves a plastic overflow tank exposed sans fairing.  If the bike were to go down on that side, it would no doubt be damaged or destroyed and I'd have to park it.  This item, while marginally heavier is also more durable.  I've also tucked it in a bit profile wise, as well as move it to the other side of the bike, and lower.

As all mods do, it required some fabrication on my part, but it seems to work OK where it is.  More updates to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment