Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Starting to piece the bike together, with new parts, used parts, and modified parts.  First, I am going with a simple bikini-style fairing.  Twinshack wants 72 pounds for this thing, which is intended to match the shape of the ER6N headlight...

Instead, I found a KTM Duke II upper fairing, crashed, on ebay for a lot cheaper (see sidebar for price information).  With a bit of work I've filled in the headlight holes and started to repaint it.  Black down the middle, and I'm thinking of doing the trim in Gulf Oil blue (got some stickers to use...)

This is it hanging in the garage.  I think I'll even be able to use the stock gauges, and mount them directly to this fairing, using some aluminum angle brackets.  Will have to make some room for numbers, of course, which I am getting from Ratmally in the UK -- they supplied the supermono numbers...

I've begun the front end swap.  Those who are Ninja 650 riders and are considering a new front end, you might want to pay attention, and either do what I do, or ignore me completely.  I think I have the proper information on doing this as simply as possible.  First, I bought a 03-04 636 front end.  This did, as advertised, bolt right in to the frame.  Mine already had steering stops removed... will have to come up with another solution for my bike.  I understand that the stock steering stops do need to be modified to use in this frame.

This is the 636 upper.  The stem is long enough, because I understand if you go for the 04-05 front triples, things are a tad short.  The ignition key tumbler is in place, and works properly.  Not sure about the steering lock -- don't plan to use it anyway!  Waiting on the forks -- got 05-06 forks, which are allegedly much better than the earlier models.  As well, my radial calipers came in.  Filthy as all heck, but I spent the day cleaning them up.  Horrible, dirty job, but ultimately satisfying in the end.
I also checked the airbox.  Filter is original, so needs to be replaced.  As well, I also removed the "intake snorkels"... jury is out on this modification, but the following videos show there is some advantage to performing this tweak...



Cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment