Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Parts and painting

Parcel lady came by early this morning -- left this.  From the states, but for some reason, no duty charged.  Not that I'm complaining, mind... BMC apparently has a decent pedigree -- making air filters for F1 cars and LeMans racers.  Should work fine on a 65hp commuter bike!

I also realized that the forks I got, while straight, had a badly leaking seal... which means new seals (on order) and a decision to purchase a proper fork oil seal driver.  Both the 'mono and this bike use 41mm forks (the inner tube) so likely a decent investment, considering I can now do the work myself.  As well, this is a pretty common size, so good to have in the toolkit if I am doing work for other riders.

Rather than copy the Gulf Oil paint scheme (couldn't find the proper shade of Orange anyway) I've decided to maintain "team colours" and go with the Key Lime/Medium Blue theme from the 'mono... besides the paint is available from Canadian Tire for under 6 bucks a can, and reacts well with the Clearcoat I use.

Particularly proud of the tail section -- this is the former R1 piece Dad and I worked to fit on the shortened subframe.  Still need to cut and apply some seat foam, and put on the numbers (see below), but I think it looks pretty damn good.  Tank will follow suit.

Front 3/4 view.  Still a ways to go yet.  At least the wheelbearings have come in, and the front wheel is at Atom Jet for machining.  Hopefully the bike will be on it's feet by next week.  Not sure if I'll make the August round, but Sept. for sure.

Just in case anyone didn't know who was riding the lime green, loud, naked bike...  The final (hopefully) major purchase will be a power commander.  It transformed the RC51, just with a posted map and not a proper tune, so I know the potential of these things.  Considering the homebrew exhaust and some other tweaks, a proper tune will be in order.  I may have found a dyno guy in Winnipeg, and plan to get the bike properly mapped in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment